The 80/20 Rule

Who is your audience? If you said ‘everyone’, then you need to stop, drop and reconsider.  When it comes to marketing, your audience needs to be laser defined.

The 80/20 rule states that 80% of your promotion efforts need to be marketed to your core audience. Your core audience is essentially 80% of your total audience.    There will always be the 2 to 92 on the edges.  That is the other 20%.  That is where the other, generalized, part of your marketing can be featured. Your marketing efforts should parallel these guidelines.  For example…If your product is hip hop club music,  you wouldn’t market this to women over 60 whose interests include scrapbooking and quilting.  Yes, this is an extreme example, but I wanted to show you how silly it would be to market 80% of your efforts to the wrong audience.  The millenials may not purchase a tea set, but they will take a second look at a cool coffee tumbler that heats up with a usb outlet.

Laser-focus your audience.

.  Find out where they are.

.  Find out what they like.

.  What social media do they frequent?

.  What are they purchasing?

.  How are they purchasing?

.  What are their buying habits?

.  How do they correspond?  (text, email, phone, web, etc.)

Ask these and many more questions, before you put your marketing plan into action.  The more questions, the more answers as to how you can effectively market your product/service.  With this in place, you will begin to see better results within your target audience. Working smarter, instead of harder, with better results is the goal!




Creatively His, Sue:)

*For more information about Sue Mohr of the Mohr Creative Group visit her website here or call: 615.881.0960 to set up a free 10-minute consult.